From Richard – In His Own Words
‘I would describe myself as a business strategist but that’s an overused term these days and has lost a lot of its meaning. I have a passion for growing exceptional businesses and have spent my life understanding what makes some businesses great and others just ordinary. I understand strategy, growth and competitiveness. I know the theory and I know the practice. I know how to craft it and more importantly how to deliver it.
As a strategist, my focus is on what creates success and understanding not only what makes businesses successful but also the people behind them. Businesses only comprise the people who lead them and work within them. I believe the success of any business lies in developing the competitive engine of that business.
As a joint chief investigator, I have also researched the dynamics, barriers and success strategies for businesses in transition, what many call family business succession, across some 56 countries. This research was funded by the Australia Research Council. I applied my expertise as a business strategist to develop global best practices for the transition of these family businesses. The outcome was a topographical guide for orienteering succession that supports the compounding of wealth across generations, while supporting family unity, individual growth and a sense of contribution for all.
Today I am a Speaker, Facilitator, Coach, Trainer, Writer and Advisor. I work with individuals, leaders and businesses in the most appropriate mode of engagement to achieve their outcomes.
My purpose is to support business leaders around the world build great businesses of all shapes and sizes. I achieve this through an approach that melds education and application – one part thinking, one part doing. The basis of which is knowledge that inspires momentum; wisdom that drives action.
‘Profit Is Not Our Motive – We’re Here To Compete’ is a call to business leaders to focus on the engine of competitiveness in their businesses. To get these dynamics right, become the best they can be by building their capability to compete and always win. And knowing that profit will be just one of the outcomes.’
The Initials After My Name
- PhD in Business Strategy – Australian Graduate School of Entrepreneurship, Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia.
- Master of Business in Organisational Competitiveness (by research) – Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
- Bachelor of Business (Accountancy) – Caulfield Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Australia.
- Fellow of the Institute of Managers And Leaders (FIML).
- Fellow of the Strategic Planning Society.
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia.
- Member of the Strategic Management Society.
- Graduate Australian Institute of Company Directors (International Directors).
- Certified N.E.W.S Coach.
- Certified Lego Serious Play Facilitator.